Saturday, February 28, 2009

Random

I have to admit this is the first blog I have setup. With setting up my first blog, I anticipate my blog will be about classroom findings during my high school placement as well as concerns with assessments, lessons, student behavior, and of course some random findings. For instance, tonight, while I was setting up my blog, I heard one of my kids hollering at me "MOM HURRY". Come to find out the guinea pig Trista got Christmas had three babies, completely unexpected! When I take over art class after spring break, I am sure I will encounter many random findings which I would have never expected.

During our last class session, our class discussed the grading system using I, C, B, A. I really think this grading system would be beneficial if used properly. In using this system, I don't think small activities and homework should be included. I feel homework should assigned on limited basis and is a continuation or research of current class work. Too often, I hear from students that homework is busy work and has little purpose. Or perhaps we need to rethink how we assign homework. What are some thoughts about homework after our last class session extremely large stack of work?

3 comments:

  1. Homework should be practice or an introduction to new material. (Marzano, Art and Science of Teaching)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to think about these issues as a teacher and a student. There are many people who consider themselves poor test-takers and appreciate having the chance to work on things at home. Homework allows for more time and possibly a more thoughtful approach. There certainly is a difference between busywork and projects that students need more time to do their best work. You have an interesting point about our last session and the required work. I was asked about our work load and I counted that I (others may be different depending on their methods class) had 16 assignments due during our last session for 7 different classes. Fortunately we had the syllabuses early enough to start working on some of it early, but it still felt like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you should not overwhelm the students with homework, but I think that it is necessary to keep the spanish students practicing and using their vocabulary. There just is not enough time in school.

    ReplyDelete