Sunday, March 1, 2009

To the Classroom

Well, just as I began to put together our last art project (unit) of the trimester, I was pulled away to attend college classes. It has been a rough beginning for my B-placement with being sick and adjusting to climate and the ever changing expectations of a new district. My cooperating teacher was awarded the Oregon Art Educator of Year, so I have high expectations to live up to. In the Hugh Hartman Campus in Redmond, they have combined the students who are high achieving, IB MYP and Global Academies, who are highly motivated students along with students who have failed out the educational system, the Success Academy. Yes, you would think that failing students would find inspiration in those student who are achieving but I find that belief quite different in the real world. I am finding it difficult to bridge the gap between highly motivated with those who could care less. Any suggestions or comments??

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there...that is the question we all ask ourselves but the important thing is that you recognize it and will take steps where you can...I dont have any hands on advice other t then maybe let the nonmotivated students pick thier own projects..they may get interested then. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the question we ask ourselves the most. Today I dealt with a group of highly unmotivated students who constantly complained about how stupid art is. I don't think it's fair to let them pick their own project when they should be learning basics. The route I take is probably the same as you...trying to relate it to something they are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, it has been a real challenge this term, has it not? Seems that it is about over, and not much accomplished in my second placement, either, with sickness and all those campus visits. Don't you think that when we can really spend every school day in the classroom with the students that it will help? I am looking forward to really full time teaching instead of just running from pillar to post. I can't relate to the position you are in with the academies and the unmotivated, but I know you will get them headed in the right direction. I have complete faith in you.

    ReplyDelete